Friday, June 19, 2009

Veggie Burgers! (and purple potato fries)

This was one of the nights that I was feeling rather lazy and also around the time we had some rather large hamburger buns that would likely start to mold within a couple of days.

I got to work quickly, slicing up some purple potatoes that we have into a nice shoestring fry size. I spread them over a very lightly greased cookie sheet, sprayed them over with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled a bit of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper over them. After that, it's a simple matter of baking at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. This is probably pointless, everyone knows how to make french fries right? Ahh, you never know though, so it doesn't hurt right?
At this point, I pull out my secret weapon. I'm sorry to say, there is no awesome veggie burger recipe waiting in the wings. Instead there is the most awesome veggie burger mix I've ever had. I discovered it a few years ago at Food Fight Grocery and have been a hardcore advocate ever since. You can just follow the instructions on the package--though I tend to use a bit less water than what it calls for. With the size of the buns we had, I divided the mix into two parts and made massive veggie burgers, about 3/4 inch thick each. I fried these in a bit of olive oil on the stovetop until they were lightly browned on the outside.

And what's a veggie burger without topping? For these I sliced up some avocado, yellow onion, roma tomatoes, and added some shredded lettuce leftover from nacho night. This is a really good combination with a little salsa instead of the traditional ketchup, mustard, or mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment