Thursday, June 25, 2009

Stick It In (A Tortilla)

Last time we went grocery shopping, Mike picked up a pack of good ol' flour tortillas. They're the small ones and came in a pack of 20. When I say them staring me down from the kitchen table I couldn't help but salivate and knew I needed an excuse to eat some. Usually I'd just scramble some tofu to put in them, it's quick, easy, and delish...but we'd just had scrambled tofu the night before (not that that matters to me, but it might bore him at some point). So I got to thinking. I could make fajitas. I could make burritos. I had two avacados in the veggie drawer that were getting a bit ripe... So I figured, why not make a few things and just mix and match as we wished. I ended up making guacamole, fajita filling, spanish rice, and refried beans.

The refried beans were easiest. I took a can of Amy's brand refried beans, and added in some vegan pepperjack that we'd picked up on sale for $1 at Kroger(it was actually good stuff melted into the beans--the brand was just called "Veggie"), I did add a little water to thin them out so that everything melted well.

Fajita Filling:
  • Yellow bell pepper cut into 3" strips
  • Red bell pepper cut into 3" strips
  • Orange bell pepper cut into 3" strips
  • 1/2 large onion cut into 3" strips
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp cilantro
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
Method:
  1. In a large saute pan combine all ingredients.
  2. On medium heat, stir frequently until onions are translucent and peppers begin to brown (the onions may start to brown too).
  3. Immediately remove from heat and serve.

Too many people think guacamole is just mashed avocado--or even worse, try to over complicate it with too many ingredients. Keep it simple and your taste buds will thank you.


Guacamole:
  • 2 avocados; peeled
  • 1/2 tomato; diced
  • 1/4 large onion; diced
  • 1 tsp dried cilantro (or 2 tsp fresh)
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  1. In a medium sized bowl, mash avocado with the back of a fork. (Or if you are lazy or prefer a smoother texture and have a food processor, use that)
  2. Add remaining ingredients and mix.
  3. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours for optimum flavor.

This is one of a million way that I make Spanish rice--the one I use when I'm feeling lazy, but it still comes out incredibly edible. And spicy.

Spanish Rice:
  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (don't drain it!)
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 2 tsp dried cilantro
  • salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Combine everything in a medium sized pot; mix thoroughly and bring to a boil.
  2. Cover and reduce heat to low.
  3. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
  4. Fluff rice and serve.
I think my favorite combination was Spanish rice, refried beans, and guacamole. Any way I mixed them up though, it still came out good. The only thing I wish I'd done differently is added some of the baby portobellos we have in the fridge to the fajita mix. Oh well, there's always next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment