Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner

To the right you see...not last nights dinner, but my constant blogging companion. As I laboriously type and try to bring you the yummiest of ideas he lays next to me purring and being his usual annoying self. Meet Parry (a nickname coming from Parrot--because he loves to sit on people's shoulder). He's young, handsome, Seal point Siamese, and a sort of rescue--he was destined for the humane society this past spring, and everyone knows spring is the worst season for an animal at the humane society. From right after Christmas up until the summer months more animals than we'd care to think have to be put down. So I snuck him into my apartment (where I wasn't allowed pets) for a few days until Mike took him. Now I'm lucky enough to get to live with both of them.

Yesterday was my birthday (the big 2-5) so I was feeling rather lazy, the only thing I made from scratch was the scrambled tofu. For the waffles I used a mix(adding a dash of cinnamon though--I can never resist putting my own touch into things)and the sausage was leftover from the vegan bbq we had Sunday(hopefully Mike will be posting on that soon--he did most of the work so that entry is his).

I take pride in my scrambled tofu though, I've been making it since I was about fifteen years old, tweaking the recipe here and there--most of the time ignoring the recipe altogether and just cooking. However...

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb tofu; drained and crumbled
  • 2 tbsp margarine
  • 1/3 red bell pepper; diced
  • 1/3 orange bell pepper; diced
  • 1/3 yellow bell pepper; diced
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 clove garlic; minced
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • Salt; to taste
  • Fresh ground pepper; to taste
  • Cayenne; to taste
Method:
  1. In a large pan, melt margarine on a medium-high heat.
  2. Add all three kinds of bell pepper and onion and saute until onion is translucent.
  3. Add mushroom and garlic, stir in and saute for a few seconds until mushrooms start to soften.
  4. Add in tofu, nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt, pepper, and cayenne and stir gently for about 15 minutes or so.
**Note: If tofu starts to get dry and stick to the pan, add a little water for moisture to sort things out.

Breakfast for dinner is something we did a lot when I was a kid, that and pizza for breakfast. There's something very delicious about mixing up your meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment