Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chocolate Turtle Brownies

Even vegans need to eat junk food sometimes right? I personally can't think of a junk food that I like more than these brownies. Their fudge-like texture and heavenly aroma take me back to the days of my childhood and my grandma's kitchen. No one can bake like a grandma does.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup oil (I like peanut best, canola or veggie oil work fine too)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1/2 soymilk (chocolate soymilk gives it that little something extra for the chocoholics)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup pecans (I guess most people would go with walnuts--not me!)
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350* F
  2. Mix soymilk and ground flax seed. Set aside for about five minutes.
  3. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
  4. In a separate bowl; cream together oil and sugar.
  5. Add flax/soy mixture to oil and sugar. Mix well. Add vanilla.
  6. Fold in dry ingredients in batches.
  7. Add pecans. (By this point, unless you have an electric mixer, you're likely to be mixing by hand because of the fudge-like batter. No worries, it's supposed to be this way.)
  8. Spread evenly into ungreased 8x10 pan. (I use a sort of dump it all in and press it out evenly method--it works pretty well)
  9. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Now, the real reason I like to use pecans is because...I like to make chocolate turtle brownies by drizzling a bit of that insignificant looking caramel sauce to the left over the top of them. Chocolate turtles were my favorite candy back in my non-vegan days, and these create a kind of nostalgic taste for me. This caramel sauce is great for anything, I especially like to dip pieces of fruit from the fruit kebabs (which will be in the next entry) into it.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 tbsp vegan margarine (Earth Balance works best)
  • 1/2 cup creamer (I like to use Silk French Vanilla creamer)
**A couple of notes before I begin:
*Use a pan with high sides--this mixture will bubble up.
*Sugar boils at a higher temperature than water, and worse, it sticks to your skin. It can and will cause nasty burns to those who aren't careful.

Method:
  1. Make sure your sugar, butter, and cream are premeasured and within easy reach while you are working at the stove.
  2. Using a heavy bottomed pan, heat sugar at a medium-high heat.
  3. As the sugar begins to melt, vigorously stir using either a whisk or wooden spoon.
  4. As soon as the sugar comes to a boil, stop stirring. You may swirl the pan a bit from here on if you wish(it will help prevent the sugar from burning).
  5. Once all the sugar crystals have melted(the liquid sugar should be a dark amber in color), immediately add margarine to the pan.
  6. Whisk until the margarine has melted then immediately remove from heat.
  7. Wait for about a count of five, then slowly begin to whisk in the creamer until it's all added and the mixture is smooth.
  8. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes.
  9. Pour caramel sauce into a glass container (a mason jar works well) and let cool to room temperature.
After it has cooled to room temperature you can store the sauce in the refrigerator for about two weeks. I tend to pour it over the brownies at or just a little above room temperature. It's best to warm the sauce before using as a dip; whether you use it for pieces of fruit or come up with a more brilliant and original use.

No comments:

Post a Comment