Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sweet Potato and Apple Muffins


I know it's been a long time since I've updated this blog, and I assure you that I have a very good excuse for it. Shortly after the last entry was posted I found out I was on the journey to becoming a veggie mama. In not time at all I found myself experiencing the joys of morning sickness and fatigue. The joys of impending motherhood left me with a distinct desire to skip out on cooking, and to spend all my time curled up in bed with a bottle of ginger tabs at my side.

Now though, I'm 20 weeks along(halfway there) and feeling far better, so I'm starting to remember why I love cooking so much. Yesterday I was struck by a desire to bake again. After rummaging around the house for something to make, I invented these lovelies. They're wonderful hot or cold, with hot apple cider, or a frosty cup of soymilk. Not to mention, these muffins are saturated with the lovely flavor of fall. I hope you enjoy them.

Sweet Potato and Apple Muffins
makes 12

For muffins:
  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup oats
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup mashed sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup silken tofu(the vanilla flavored worked out great in these)
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/3 cup soymilk
  • 1 cup peeled, cored, and chopped apple(I used a nice green apple because I like the tang)
For topping:
  • 2 parts finely chopped apple
  • 2 parts oats
  • 1 part maple syrup

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl. Mix.
  3. Stir in maple syrup, sweet potato, tofu, oil, and soymilk until mixture is moist(but it should still be a little lumpy).
  4. Finally, fold in the 1 cup of apples until distributed evenly throughout.
  5. Fill muffin cups almost to the top with mixture.
  6. In a seperate bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping.
  7. Top muffins with topping mixture. (this isn't an exact science, this part is all personal preference)
  8. Bake for 16-20 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

*Note: These muffins come out very soft and moist, but are not very sweet. If you want a sweeter muffin I'd probably use 1/2 cup sugar instead of the maple syrup(I liked the idea of making them sugar free though, thus the maple syrup).

Hmmm...I think my recipe writing technique has improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment